Re: [dev] oasis: small linux system inspired by stali

From: Marc André Tanner <mat_AT_brain-dump.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 23:44:47 +0200

Hi Michael,

Overall I like your package selection, but I also have a few questions:

 * Did you consider using netbsd-curses[1] instead of ncurses?

   This probably won't work as is, because libtermkey as required by
   vis depends on the ncurses terminfo library. It might be worth
   investigating how much work it would be to either port libtermkey
   or provide the necessary terminfo symbols in netbsd-curses.

 * What is the justification for using ninja (I'm not really familiar
   with it). It seems like the only (non-toolchain) package requiring
   C++. Furthermore, you mentioned that you might write a compatible
   C replacement at some point, hence it must obviously be better than
   other existing alternatives.

 * Did you try how much of the system can be built using a C only
   toolchain like cparser+libfirm?

 * Why did you settle for perp instead of s6[2]? Again I'm not really
   familiar with either of them (besides reading their respective
   websites etc.). Just curious, it would be interesting to get your
   reasoning behind the package selection process.

 * Will you consider using BearSSL in the future, once it gets a bit
   more mature?

Thanks for your work!

Marc

[1] https://github.com/sabotage-linux/netbsd-curses