Re: [dev] [announce] mle: a small terminal-based text editor

From: S. Gilles <sgilles_AT_math.umd.edu>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2017 17:51:03 -0400

On 2017-03-29T19:00:03+0000, Cág wrote:
> Wolfgang Corcoran-Mathe wrote:
>
> > mle is too complex for my taste (scripting and syntax highlighting
> > seem unecessary, though I’m in the grumpy minority here)
>
> Personally I'd like to see more of something like mg or busybox' vi.
> Unfortunately they both don't support UTF-8. nvi is pretty good as
> well.

I wrote a patch[0] for mg which sort of adds Unicode support a while
back via wchar_t. Upstream interest was low, as they were just about
to release 6.0 and I got the impression they'd rather write it
themselves, but as far as I can tell it works. At the very least,
it could be used as a guide towards which parts of mg need to be
ripped out and rewritten.

[0] https://github.com/hboetes/mg/tree/display-wide-characters

--
S. Gilles