[dev] [st] Input methods display in wrong position

From: David Elliott <delliott_AT_caltech.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2017 12:46:42 -0700

Hi everyone,

I'm using fcitx for Chinese input, and noticed that the fcitx window
always appears at the bottom left of the st window rather than at the
cursor, where it should. This issue makes it difficult to use CJK
input methods with st because the user must constantly look back and
forth between the bottom of the screen and the current cursor
position.

I have tried using both on-the-spot and over-the-spot settings for
xim, but the input method still won't follow the cursor. I tried using
ibus instead of fcitx, and the results were the same: the input method
could enter characters properly, but did not display at the cursor. I
have verified that both input methods display properly in urxvt. I
read the fcitx wiki page, and it seems that this is a problem with st
not reporting the cursor position properly.

I am using Arch Linux with dwm (patched with gaplessgrid).

Let me know if you have any suggestions how this could be fixed.

Thanks,
David