Re: [dev] [st] Start with text already input

From: Eric Pruitt <eric.pruitt_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2017 14:24:55 -0700

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 09:41:32PM +0200, Hadrien Lacour wrote:
> I basically wanted a way to open a terminal with the beginning of a
> command ("pass -c " in my case) already typed.
>
> I finally settled for the dmenu integration, but this still could be
> useful. I'll probably have better chance with xdotool.

The only method I'm aware of for pushing characters to a terminal
requires using ioctl, and I think (but am not certain) this only works
if the process in question is the session leader. In C, this looks like
"ioctl(tty, TIOCSTI, data)" where "tty" is a file descriptor for the
terminal. Maybe you could create a wrapper program that uses ioctl to
push bytes into the input buffer then spawns a shell.

Eric