[dev] Privilege escalation on remote hosts. MANY remote hosts.

From: Kamil Cholewiński <harry666t_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 15:52:25 +0200

Hi list,

TL;DR: passwordless sudo is same as making $USER equal to root at all
times. Requiring a password is a royal PITA when trying to run one
command on many many hosts. Scripting interactive password input sucks.
Other methods are non-portable. Practical ideas?

Long version:

I've been working on Judo[1], a less-sucky alternative to Ansible[2].
The exact problem it solves is basically that of "for host in ...; do
scp script ${host}: && ssh ${host} ./script; done", except with some
seatbelts and goodies (like parallel execution, logging, host inventory,
cleanup, master connection for speed, etc).

[1]: https://github.com/rollcat/judo
[2]: https://www.ansible.com/

I have a working PoC, written in Go, which I've been using to manage my
personal machines, and occasionally even for stuff I was actually paid
to do. So, Judo is already proving productive. But before I can finalize
the design and set some things in stone, I feel that I need to solve one
last outstanding design problem: privilege escalation at scale. I want
managing 5 hosts to be as simple and practical as managing a fleet of
5000, while not compromising too much in other areas.

Currently, Judo assumes absolutely no interaction from its scripts on
any hosts. On the remote side, stdin is closed as soon as possible, no
PTY is allocated, etc. This is on purpose, by design, and won't change:
this is one of the more frustrating things about Ansible, and there's no
sane way to do it when interacting with N hosts, in parallel.

This doesn't mesh well with interactive sudo (or doas, or su, or
whatever other interactive privilege escalation tool you'd use). The
"get things done" solution is to use the 0-factor authentication variant
with NOPASSWD, which IMHO is just a more complex and elaborate way of
aliasing $USER to UID 0 in /etc/passwd, and will leave many sysops
unhappy.

The way Ansible solves this, is there's a script to interact with sudo,
su, doas, etc - this means the core product has specific kludge in place
to interact with every possible PrivEsc method, and every new tool to
support needs another piece of kludge. (Probably why it's at 600k SLOC
vs Judo's 1k.) On the other hand, Judo is not even aware of sudo / doas
/ sup / su / etc, as privilege escalation is simply not considered in
scope at this time - the problem is currently delegated to the script
running on the target machine. Most of my scripts have this preamble:
'if [ "$(id -u)" != 0 ]; then exec sudo -n -- $0 "$_AT_"; fi'.

If we wanted to require some other authentication factor, say via PAM,
that'd make matters even worse. Judo currently seems to work fine with
whatever you throw at it, I've tested it with Debian, CentOS, OpenBSD,
FreeBSD, RouterOS, on amd64, i386, arm... And it just works, because the
core assumes very very little about the remote machine. PAM sucks and
doesn't even exist on OpenBSD, Slackware, many embedded systems, etc.

I was thinking about writing a tiny helper tool to run on the remote
end, that would: 1. read a one-time token from a file/fd, 2. delete that
file, and 3. if ok, execute the given script with escalated privileges;
then integrate this with Judo, so that the controlling host would
generate these one-time tokens and send them off to remote hosts. But
the tool would have to be a statically-linked executable, one for each
OS+release+arch combo. Sounds like another PITA to manage; especially
since Judo assumes almost nothing about the target host (and again, I'd
like to keep it that way).

Until a while ago, I've been telling myself this is not a real problem,
and password-less sudo is fine, because if someone can put something
like 'sudo() { ... }' in my ~/.profile, I'm toast anyway. Somehow I
don't feel easy about this, there must be a way to add an authentication
factor to privilege escalation that doesn't suck.

And lastly, I don't want to assume that everyone's remote hosts will
always allow unauthenticated sudo, because that's a silly assumption. I
also don't want anyone to have to put an 'if not root then sudo myself'
preamble in every script - boilerplate is evil.

Looks like whichever way to go, there's always a compromise to make:
adding complexity, dropping authentication, sacrificing portability,
hardcoding assumptions, proliferating boilerplate...
I'd love to hear ideas & opinions.

<3,K.