[dev] [st] [macOS] Emoji Characters Fixed for High Sierra

From: Gary Allen Vollink <gary_AT_vollink.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2017 21:40:59 -0400

As of High Sierra, many of the Wide Character spacing issues have been
fixed (most Emoji and all the Chinese Extentions C, D and E, now
report 2). I'll note that this is on-par with the most recent Ubuntu
release "artful" as well.

I only mention it here, because multiple threads in this list have
talked about this problem (and wanting to see it fixed). As I
reported earlier, the right fix has always been within libc / locale.

The rest of this gets long, and I apologize.

I'll note that the ones that are still problematic are old problems
related to the fonts as some supposedly monospaced fonts properly use
1 space for them. For some glyphs, it seems near impossible to
single-space them, but these are old issues.

Some examples: Greek 03e2: Ϣ, Cyrilic 0x0460: Ѡ and 052a: Ԫ, Arabic
0604: ؄, and 06de: ۞, Devanagari 0950: ॐ, etc.

The other things are symbols that later became considered Emoji by
some. Again, some fonts have single width glyphs available, some
don't. More examples:

2318: ⌘ : PLACE OF INTEREST SIGN
231a: ⌚ : WATCH
231b: ⌛ : HOURGLASS
2328: ⌨ : KEYBOARD
2384: ⎄ : COMPOSITION SYMBOL
2386: ⎆ : ENTER SYMBOL
2387: ⎇ : ALTERNATIVE KEY SYMBOL
238c: ⎌ : UNDO SYMBOL
2393: ⎓ : DIRECT CURRENT SYMBOL FORM TWO
2399: ⎙ : PRINT SCREEN SYMBOL
239a: ⎚ : CLEAR SCREEN SYMBOL
23ce: ⏎ : RETURN SYMBOL
23cf: ⏏ : EJECT SYMBOL