Re: [dev] [surf] unreliable loading of multiple requests over tor

From: Quentin Rameau <quinq_AT_fifth.space>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 12:30:58 +0100

> Hi all,

Hi Nick,

> I've had this issue with surf forever, but it is gradually becoming
> more of a problem as the web gets ever further away from HTML pages
> served over HTTP.
>
> When using Tor+Privoxy in standard configuration, and sending surf's
> traffic through that by setting the http_proxy and https_proxy
> environment variables, complex pages generally never fully load.
> Specifically, they will partly load, say to 80%, but remaining
> transfers never complete. When I say "complex pages", I mean pages
> which have serious javascript stuff going on, like Google Maps and
> Google Docs. Sometimes they load fine, but more often they do not.
> I put up a screenshot of an example failure with the web inspector
> at: https://njw.name/tmp/surfmaps.png

Sadly, the webkit process is managing connexions, surf itself doesn't.

> This never happens when using Tor Browser, though that uses its own
> Tor process.

AFAIK, Tor Browser is Firefox.

> I don't find connection problems using Tor+Privoxy with other tools
> like youtube-dl or wget, but then there aren't so many simultaneous
> requests.

Could you try with other webkitgtk-based broswers (like midori,
epiphany) to see if you get the same issue?

> Possibly related (though I haven't had time to investigate much
> yet), the cloudflare captcha page often fails to load the captcha
> part of the page, with a "400 Bad Request" on the payload URL that
> looks like this
> https://www.google.com/recaptcha/api2/payload?c=[longstring]
>
> As you can tell, I haven't done a lot of debugging on this as of
> yet, but I thought I'd post here to see if others have experienced
> the same issues, or have any thoughts as to the cause of them.

Thank you for letting us know, although I'm not sure we can do a lot
there sadly.
I'll try to investigate this if you get more details though.