Re: [dev] Opinions on single-header C libraries

From: Laslo Hunhold <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2018 21:36:28 +0200

On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 16:18:13 +0300
markweston_AT_cock.li wrote:

Oh, Hi Mark,

> I am particularly interested in the idea of replacing the heavy,
> official format libraries (libvorbisfile, libpng, freetype) with
> their single-header-library counterparts.

> - are slightly slower
> - are buggier
> - have ad-hoc, if any, version control

These points are pretty much what destroys single header libraries for
almost all nontrivial applications. You end up with a situation
probably only know with web development where you throw together lots
of .js-libraries in one folder where they are left to rot with no way
to keep them updated and so forth.

libpng sucks, I know, and it was very painful to implement it for
farbfeld. However, every serious developer sould never ever use these
libraries for anything serious given the reasons you stated above.

With best regards

Laslo

--
Laslo Hunhold <dev_AT_frign.de>