Re: [dev] noice and NetBSD curses

From: Silvan Jegen <s.jegen_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2018 15:58:57 +0200

On Sun, Aug 5, 2018 at 4:56 PM, Cág <ca6c_AT_bitmessage.ch> wrote:
> Silvan Jegen wrote:
>
>> I have the same locale set up (LANG=en_US.UTF-8) and on my (Linux)
>> machine, both rover and noice (compiled from tip) show the "früh.mp3"
>> filename correctly without me having to set LC_ALL=C.
>
> Keep in mind, this is NetBSD with its own curses library. It was
> suggested that it's a bug somehow covered by ncurses.

I thought that maybe one of the programs is linked against the
non-"...w" variant of the curses library (i. e. "libncurses" instead
of "libncursesw") but it turns out that NetBSD's curses library does
not have this separation at all. Interesting stuff.

>> What you could try is to check what setlocale() returns in both cases.
>> There may be an error when setting up the locale in the noice case.
>
> If I simply printf setlocale() nothing strange appears: C for COLLATE,
> and en_US.UTF-8 for everything else. The same is inside noice when
> spawning a shell.

So the locale doesn't seem to be an issue.

Not sure how to debug this further. Especially not without a working
NetBSD installation (and I am lazy...).

Cheers,

Silvan