Re: [dev] freetype2/fc pain

From: Hiltjo Posthuma <hiltjo_AT_codemadness.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 09:35:11 +0200

On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 09:15:55AM +0200, Silvan Jegen wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 8:32 AM Eric Pruitt <eric.pruitt_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Well, are you using st with glyphs that require fallback fonts?
> > > I wonder if at suckless we should aim for the general purpose.
> >
> > Yes, st's fallback font support is the main reason I began to use it. I
> > use st and dwm with Japanese and Chinese text almost every single day.
>
> Just chiming in to say that I am using st with Japanese/Chinese fonts every
> day as well.
>
> I don't think we should throw out support for a feature that more than a billion
> people on the planet rely on. That doesn't mean that we can't rethink how we
> go about supporting that feature though.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Silvan

I agree its useful. (Complex) fall-back font support has been on my mind also.
An idea could be of instead of supporting fallback fonts we could write some
font merge script (pre-runtime).

There are also some fonts which support many glyphs like:
http://unifoundry.com/unifont/index.html

--
Kind regards,
Hiltjo