Re: [dev] freetype2/fc pain

From: AR Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 10:10:08 -0700

Hi there,

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 at 06:42, Cág <ca6c_AT_bitmessage.ch> wrote:
> Anselm wrote:
> > Back in the days I also concluded that the introduction of Xinerama
> > and multihead support was a bad idea after all.
> >
> > What do you guys think about this idea?
>
> A couple of ideas:
> 1. Having Xft and Xinerama support in the patches section

I wouldn't suggesting going that far, rather separating the related
handling a bit further.

> 2. Create ifdefs for Xft as they are now for Xinerama (don't bite me)

Well, this is something that needs to be determined. I more and more
conclude, that the libsl idea wasn't so bad and that it should be
solved by introducing a suckless text drawing library as true static
linkage dependency for dwm, dmenu and st. This library could become
something like harfbuzz for the terminal case, but way simpler and
take onboard the ideas discussed in this thread with different
strategies to have a list walk through to find the proper glyph of a
certain range. But it should also have a proper default that just
relies on the XFont API, like it used to be in d*. No fuzz, if your
system is limited to Xlib only.

This is kind of my conclusion now. The interesting aspect is coming up
with a nice .h file that would allow to clean up dwm/dmenu/st from
font handling and text drawing.
It is a bit of effort.

Best regards,
Anselm