Re: [dev] freetype2/fc pain

From: Eon S. Jeon <esjeon_AT_hyunmu.am>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2018 17:09:30 +0600

> On 25 Sep 2018, at 14:10, Roberto E. Vargas Caballero <k0ga_AT_shike2.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 10:26:52PM +0600, Eon S. Jeon wrote:
>> I think fontconfig is to blame here. It?s what st is using to find fallbacks. It?s just that we don?t want such highly sophisticated fallback mechanism. We all love simple infallible code, so that we can always blame users. ;)
>>
>> (Note that we still need fontconfig for loading and configuring fonts. It still makes our lives easier.)
>>
>> Also, I believe freetype is essential. st has one visual component and that?s text. st should render it good. At least that?s what people will consider suck-less.
>
> We can go to simple x fonts, is much simpler. Suckless is about simplicity of the code.

Simplicity is one thing, it become pointless if software is useless. Useless software sucks and it will only shame this community. We must make useful software simple, not the other way around.

Even when X core fonts simply works, that’s not how the rest of world works. Even I can’t imagine myself running xfontsel anymore.

Also, if st is to support wayland, FT/FC are inevitable. We will end up being there, and we can just work on it now.

Again, we need freetype. We better look into how we can make freetype/fontconfig related code simple, instead of trying to revert back to early 90s.