Re: [dev] freetype2/fc pain

From: Laslo Hunhold <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2018 10:01:48 +0200

On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 02:21:31 +0000
sylvain.bertrand_AT_gmail.com wrote:

Dear Sylvain,

> But they are already going this way: the color and animated emojis
> are xml smile/svg documents which are embedded into oft/ttf files.
>
> It is just a matter of time before the vector parts of otf/ttf files
> are xml-ized with font specific augmented information.

then don't use fonts implementing it like that. It's that simple and
definitely not difficult. If we implemented a suckless renderer we
could then also just discard embedded SVG naturally.

I'm not a OTF/TTF expert, but I think it even allows font files to
contain "native" fallbacks for provided embedded SVG.

The vast majority of fonts uses the "native" OTF/TTF format anyway and
will in the future, because anything else would be a waste of resources
both on the font-developer-side and the rendering-part.

With best regards

Laslo

--
Laslo Hunhold <dev_AT_frign.de>