Re: [dev] freetype2/fc pain

From: Laslo Hunhold <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2018 15:46:36 +0200

On Sat, 29 Sep 2018 12:59:15 +0000
sylvain.bertrand_AT_gmail.com wrote:

Dear Sylvain,

> mmmh... for the reason I stated before, the fonts files will probably
> be more and more NFD normalization only (lighter font files, and
> significantly less work to do for font designers). Font files will
> miss more and more pre-combined (legacy) glyphs: full decomposition
> in base glyphs will be more and more required.

no, that's unlikely, as they cannot impose the data format that is
still prominently used for all data exchange. The only thing that might
happen is that font libraries will need to do some normalization, but
maybe we are discussing nonsense here and the TTF format has some kind
of way to refer to other glyphs and combine them or something.

> I have not gone into the details of the EGC boundaries algorithm, but
> I'm really curious to how the unicode consortium algorithm can know
> that an unicode point is an EGC terminator without looking the next
> unicode point.

It does in fact. The algorithm works by determining if _between_ to code
points there is an EGC terminator.

With best regards

Laslo

--