[dev] Some questions about sdhcp

From: Markus Wichmann <nullplan_AT_gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 19:33:33 +0200

Hi all,

I recently read the source code of sdhcp, and it does seem to be a nice
tool, but I couldn't help but notice a few things. Now, maybe I'm dense,
and none of the things I'm about to bring up matter for some reason, and
if so, that would be really cool. But some of these really do seem like
major issues, so here goes:

1. Timeout based on alarm()
---------------------------

That is, in principle, not a bad way to do it, but unsuitable for a
laptop application, which might see extended time spent in a sleep
state. This is mostly an issue during the Bound state, as I have no idea
if the alarms get adjusted for the time slept, and what happens if the
alarm times out during sleep.

That said, I also have no idea what happens to monotonic clocks, so what
the heck.

2. Signal handlers established with signal()

Unfortunately, the BSD-v-SysV war has destroyed that interface beyond
usability. On Linux, it depends on the libc, and for glibc also on the
compiler flags, whether you get oneshot behavior or persistent behavior.
So now we have to use sigaction() to establish signal handlers, or
always re-establish the handlers from within, just in case.

musl gives the BSD behavior always, BTW.

3. Broken timing model
----------------------

The code reads the value from the Lease Time option into a variable
called "t1", and proceeds to use that variable as T1 (i.e. the time
after which the lease should be renewed). That is not what the lease
time is!

The RFC states that after the lease time has elapsed, the client must no
longer use the address granted to it, and failing to do so was the
reason why many Apple devices where banned from some Ivy League campus
network or other, some years back; which was a great source of humour
for me and others. Yet here we are, doing the same thing wrong.

The RFC states that T1 is specified in option 58, and T2 in option 59.
Failing these, T1 is 1/2 lease time, and T2 is 7/8 lease time. Apropos
failing:

4. Christian search routines
----------------------------

The Bible states "Seek and you will find" but it might not be a
great idea to implement this in a computer program. Unfortunately,
optget() has absolutely no way of communicating failure to find a given
option, and its callers don't seem to care much, either way. "Be lenient
in what you accept" is all well and good, but not when the most
important pieces of data are missing.

5. Absolutely no timeout in Renewing and Rebinding states

I couldn't find info on what happens after an alarm fires, but the only
behaviors that make any sense are (a) alarm() is oneshot, and (b)
alarm() is cyclical. Once sdhcp has made it into Bound state, an alarm()
for the lease time is registered. When that fires, no further alarm is
registered as sdhcp sends out a single request for renewal. If that
packet, or the acknowledgment of it, drops for any reason, we're stuck
in Renewing with either no timeout, if (a) is true, or one lease time
(typically something like 1 day) as timeout, if (b) is true.

The RFC states that the client should set the packet timeout in these
states to half the remaining time (until T2 or lease time), down to one
minute.

6. No XID reroll or comparison
------------------------------

The XID is rolled once, at the start of the process, and never rolled
again. Shouldn't a different XID be used for each separate transaction?
That might be down to taste, but this one is not: XID is never compared
to the XID of a received packet. And neither is the CID. Thus, sdhcp
ends up stealing people's leases! I mean, the whole protocol is
broadcast, we're bound to see a packet that wasn't meant for us.

7. Use of the realtime clock for time measurement

For some reason I don't quite get, DHCP clients are required to send the
time they spent working in the packet header. Well, not required; we
could just null the field. But since we do send something, we might as
well do it right. Currently, the time is measured by way of the time()
function, which returns the current realtime clock value. Thus, if we
were starting up on a system without battery backup, we would get a time
in 1970. If after getting a lease, the clock is then corrected with NTP,
suddenly we will tell the DHCP server that we spent almost 50 years
talking to it, which it might take exception to.

All of this could be solved by way of clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC).
Just wrap it with an interface similar to time() first.

8. Race condition for timeouts
------------------------------

If an alarm should fire while we are not blocked in a syscall, it will
be ignored, and the program will hang. That could be solved with a
global flag that is set from the signal handler, but that will
significantly increase complexity (since we need to reset the flag after
taking notice of it) and is not without its pitfalls (cf. ppoll()).
Might be better just to use a self-pipe.

9. poll() with 1 descriptor?
----------------------------

That one I just don't get. Wouldn't it be simpler to park the program in
a blocking recv()? Or am I missing something. I mean, as written, the
poll is conceptually useless. Add another descriptor, that's another
matter.

10. UDP recvfrom() misunderstanding
-----------------------------------

udprecv() seems to suffer from the misconception that the socket address
supplied to recvfrom() is an input parameter. It is not. A UDP socket
will receive every packet sent to the right port, and the socket address
in recvfrom() is an output parameter, identifying the source of that
particular datagram.

11. Failing to set "up" flag at start

Most other popular Linux DHCP clients set the "up" flag on the interface
before starting. I'm not 100% on what happens if it is missing, but I
guess that would mean no sending and no receiving packets. And I am all
but certain the flag is missing on startup. Might be worth documenting
at least.

Want a patch? Might take a while, though.

Ciao,
Markus