Re: [dev] GPL free Linux

From: Alessandro Pistocchi <apukfreelance_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 11:22:51 +0000

> On 12 Nov 2018, at 09:19, David Demelier <markand_AT_malikania.fr> wrote:
>
> Le 12/11/2018 à 07:27, Alexander Huemer a écrit :
>> If you don't like the GPL, why use the Linux kernel in the first place?
>> Go with {Free,Open,Net}BSD and live happily ever after.
>
> Unfortunately in matter of hardware support, Linux is definitely the best selection for now.

Exactly. OpenBSD people were talking about the cpu bugs that led to spectre and meltdown security vulnerabilities many years ago. However I read that they were not involved in the discussion about it until much later.

The linux guys were involved way sooner.

> Lot of people try to get rid of GPL code just because of the license. See OpenBSD and FreeBSD which have switched to clang. They even had a special gnu directory for easier removal for those who wants to do proprietary stuff with that their systems.

That’s something I am doing as well.

> I completely understand the idea of driving away from GNU/GPL when you really want to provide flexibility and opensource to the mass. To me GPL is only useful for users, not for developers.
>
> My $0.02.

Would you be interested in helping me ?