Re: [dev] GPL free Linux

From: Michael Forney <mforney_AT_mforney.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 15:11:45 -0800

My wayland compositor library: https://github.com/michaelforney/swc

> Where can I find oasis? Would you be interested in helping a bit if I needed
> help starting from oasis and removing gpl/lgpl stuff? I am ok with gpl apps
> but not with libs...

https://github.com/michaelforney/oasis

I won't be removing GPL/LGPL packages just because of the license, but
you don't have to install them if you don't want them. You can also
just comment out what you don't want in pkg/gen.lua to make sure they
don't get pulled in by something. The core set of packages (required
for bootstrap and basic system operation) doesn't use any GPL/LGPL
libraries, but does include some GPL applications (bc, e2fsprogs, git,
iproute2, kbd, util-linux) and plan9port (Lucent Public License 1.02).

Going through the package list, the libraries will likely have
problems with are:
- libelf from elfutils (LGPLv3), required to build linux
- efivar (LGPLv2.1), required by efibootmgr (GPLv2)
- libfuse (LGPLv2.1), required by sshfs (GPLv2)
- libnl (LGPLv2.1), required by wpa_supplicant (BSD-3, but libnl is
linked statically, so also LGPLv2.1)
- jbig2dec (AGPLv3), required by mupdf (AGPLv3)
- ffmpeg (LGPLv2.1 or GPLv2, depending on what's enabled), required by
mpv (also GPLv2 or LGPLv2.1 depending on what's enabled).
- alsa-lib (LGPLv2.1), required by alsa-utils (GPLv2) and mpv

(licenses were determined by looking briefly at https://repology.org/)