Re: [dev] GPL free Linux

From: Eon S. Jeon <esjeon_AT_hyunmu.am>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2018 11:02:20 +0900

On 11/12/18 8:25 PM, Alessandro Pistocchi wrote:
> I just want people to be able to do proprietary software no questions asked.
>
> Some of my users may not know anything about copyleft and do stuff that is wrong without knowing it and I don’t want this to happen to them.

That doesn't sound like an okay approach.

All developers must learn to respect copyright, because they're
collaborating with others. It's a basic rule that every participants
must know beforehand. Of course, if you're targeting non-professionals,
it makes sense to choose loose licenses.

Also, business entities are legally *more* responsible than individuals.
They are the ones who must ask questions, not wait to be questioned. "I
didn't know" doesn't work for businesses. But then, they will find a way
no matter the situation (like working around GPL contamination), so it's
pretty silly to worry about them.

TBH, choosing open source license is really just a matter of preference,
until you face a problem (like Cedega ripping of Wine[1]). Just don't
try to fix any hypothetical problems.

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedega_(software)#Controversy