Re: [dev] [ubase] Implementing users and groups management

From: ilmich <ardutu_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 17:19:50 +0100

Il giorno lun 26 nov 2018 alle ore 15:38 Laslo Hunhold <dev_AT_frign.de>
ha scritto:
> Dear Michele,

Hi Laslo, thanks for your reply

> In this case though, one would have to think which underlying
> database to use. The shadow password format is most prominent
> nowadays, with all its drawbacks. You can read more about it here[0]
> (including manpages for the utils implemented in this format).
>
> I remember we discussed a relatively new concept that is better thought
> out, and we even discussed it on IRC a few years back regarding ubase,
> but I am not sure if it was OpenBSD's approach (see passwd(5)[1]). It
> would be interesting to implement it for Linux in some way, maybe even
> including conversion tools or something.

for now I've only implemented shadow format for compatibility with
other tools of ubase (login and passwd).

However, looking the OpenBSD approach I noticed that the public
databases exported by pwd_mkdb are Berkley Db.
The idea you discussed was in this kind of format!?

I'm also studying OpenWall tcb[0]

Cheers
Michele

[0]:https://www.openwall.com/tcb/