Re: [dev] [dwm] new release - transition from Openbox

From: Igor Fontana <rogi_AT_skylittlesystem.org>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2019 21:55:31 +0000

> **I've been using Openbox for several years. Is it worth switching to
> dwm?**

Yes.

> I'm mostly keyboard guy so my crucial functionality is to use keyboard
> shortcuts to: run particular program, switch desktops, switch windows,
> move them, resize, resize half-screen (vertically and horizontally), 1/6
> of screen (1/2 x 1/3), and similar.
>
> Apart from that I don't use themes, decorations, menus,
> status-and-whatever-bars, self-reorganizing windows, and so on.

You must know that dwm is a tiling window manager, it organizes
windows for you to occupy maximum space. Windows can be floated, like
in a stacking window manager, but this is not what dwm was built for.

dwm is keyboard-oriented and has familiar bindings to vim users.

> The only additional window I use in Openbox is the one that shows me
> window list while I'm switching them (Meta/Win+Tab). And I need a colorful
> border around active window. I think that's it.

Window list shouldn't be needed anymore. You can customize the border
by patching the sauce yourself.

> So, Is it worth it, and will it be harmless, or maybe even beneficial?

Yes.
You should also consider grabbing dmenu and st.

--
Igor