[dev] [dmenu] 4.9 release messes with input focus

From: Michał Kępień <dmenu_AT_kempniu.pl>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2019 10:57:31 +0100

Hi!

Commit 377bd37 ("Handle IME input") appears to have broken input focus
handling on my box. I am using i3 as my window manager.

I originally observed the problem when I started KeePassX using dmenu
right after i3 startup and the CTRL+O keyboard shortcut did not cause an
"Open" dialog to pop up. I had to use i3's keyboard shortcut for moving
focus in order to make it work.

Another simple reproduction procedure involves a terminal emulator:

 1. Start i3.

 2. Open a terminal emulator window using i3's keyboard shortcut. Its
    cursor will be filled.

 3. Without switching workspaces, open another terminal emulator window
    using dmenu 4.9. Its cursor will be hollow, despite its window
    border indicating that it is focused.

Downgrading to dmenu 4.8 or removing the XSetInputFocus() call from
commit 377bd37 fixes the problem.

My knowledge of X11 is too limited to suggest a proper fix, sorry.

Hope this helps,

--
Best regards,
Michał Kępień