Re: [dev] [dmenu] 4.9 segfault on input

From: Silvan Jegen <s.jegen_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2019 20:32:53 +0100

[2019-02-14 10:50] Igor Fontana <rogi_AT_skylittlesystem.org>

> > > Absolutely ;) People who need it, could maintain a patch for it.
> >
> > I am also not against that since I never use an IME with dmenu. If
> > somebody on this list does so, I think now would be a good time to
> > speak up...
>
> I think not having XIM is bad. To me it sounds like "japanese is too
> complicated, speak english". May be the case that _we_ don't need it
> that much, but then we're putting another barrier on who we call _we_.

While I agree in general, I exclusively use dmenu for dmenu_run, i. e. to
start command line programs in my PATH. I doubt that a lot of their names
contain characters written in languages that use IMEs. Assuming that
most people use dmenu for this purpose, removing the IME functionality
seems okay to me.

> Having the keyboard working is just too basic and should be provided
> by default in any software, not as a separate patch.
>
> And it seems like it's mostly working and that it's not that easy to
> trigger the bug. In this case, I think it's even worse to remove it.
>
> That is my political position.
>
> If st isn't affected, can't dmenu be fixed?

With the suggested patch applied, everything worked for me when using
IBus and in st we use a similar pattern to what this patch is proposing
(x.c:1007-1014). I am not sure why Patrick's IME (SCIM) is working in
st but not in dmenu with the patch applied...

Cheers,

Silvan