Re: [dev] Learn C

From: <sylvain.bertrand_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 19:28:31 +0000

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 07:43:04AM -0700, Evan Gates wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 11:21 AM <sylvain.bertrand_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> > C has already a syntax way too rich and flexible. Most of the
> > linux coding guidelines is nice.
>
> There is also a style page[0] at suckless. But again style is subjective
> and the most important thing is consistency within a project.

Style and the amount of actually used syntax is different. Style is how you use
a set of the syntax. Styles using different sets of the syntax are not to be
compared. Here it's not style: it's mostly a reduction of the syntax. Then you
could define different styles using the same set of the syntax. But I have to
agree, syntax reduction is often, if not always, put in the "style" bag, which
I think is wrong.

> > add a suffix to your type (u8_t, struct my_class_t)
>
> Don't do this if you're using anything POSIX. The _t namespace is
> reserved for POSIX types.[1]

If I recall properly, I was nesting structs with type names intersecting the C
keywords (float...), any short suffix will do actually or none if not
conflicting with anything.

> [1] http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/V2_chap02.html#tag_15_02_02

On this web page, when I tried to get the definition of the [CX] code related
to the _t suffix I got a nice page complaining javascript is nowhere to be
found, I had to use google to find the right page... bad omens.

--
Sylvain