Re: [dev] [dwm] Need help about gray windows of Java applications

From: Storkman <storkman_AT_storkman.xyz>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2019 11:26:19 +0000

On May 14, 2019 10:37:57 AM UTC, Enan Ajmain <3nan.ajmain_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>Thanks. It worked.
>
>I've added `wmname LG3D` in xinitrc, but it doesn't work for some
>reason. But I invoked in manually from bash before launching logisim
>and it worked fine. I don't care about xinitrc, because I would have
>liked to use this method only for that one application only anyway.

Perhaps because you're not using xinit to start X?

>I have checked the page for wmname in suckless.org and found this
>method listed there. Would you mind explaining what LG3D is and why
>this was chosen as opposed to anything else? And one more thing, if I
>invoke `wmname LG3D` from one bash instance, it would not manipulate
>the other windows, right?

As the suckless.org page states, it is a property of the root window, so no. It will affect everything forever... until you restart X, or change the property again.

That being said, I've had wmname LG3D in my .xinitrc for years now, and it's never interfered with anything as far as I can tell.

As for what "LG3D" is, apparently it used to be some wacky Java 3D window manager back in the magical times when that sounded like a good idea.

--
Storkman