[dev] Yet another C compiler

From: Michael Forney <mforney_AT_mforney.org>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2019 20:41:38 -0700

Hi all,

I know there are a number of small C compilers out there in various
states of completion, but recently I've been working on another to add
to the mix:

https://git.sr.ht/~mcf/cc

It is a C11 compiler based on QBE. The name is not yet chosen. I hope
to differentiate it from the others by focusing on compiling lots of
real world software in various environments.

In particular, most suckless software builds and works with an
occasional tweak or two (dwm, dmenu, st, sbase, ...). I've also been
able to build some other toolchain components including binutils and
gcc-4.7 (which can then be used to bootstrap to gcc-9). It is not yet
able to build musl libc due to lack of inline asm, volatile, and long
double support, but I hope to add those features if QBE gains support
for them.

My ultimate goal is to use it as the system compiler for oasis
(https://github.com/michaelforney/oasis).

Currently, the following targets are supported:

- x86_64-linux-musl
- x86_64-linux-gnu
- x86_64-freebsd
- aarch64-linux-musl
- aarch64-linux-gnu

If you're interested in helping, probably the best way is to try to
build your favorite software and report any issues to the bug tracker
at https://todo.sr.ht/~mcf/cc-issues (checking for existing issues
first, of course).