Re: [dev] smu CommomMark improvements

From: Ciprian Dorin Craciun <ciprian.craciun_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2019 22:29:31 +0300

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 1:24 PM Karl Bartel <karl42_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> After reading the point "Improve the Markdown parser used by the
> suckless wiki called "smu" to conform more to Markdown" on
> https://suckless.org/project_ideas/ I fixed a few incompatibilities
> that turned up when comparing smu against
> https://github.com/michelf/mdtest. The results can be found at
> https://github.com/karlb/smu. If anyone gives it a try, please let me
> know about the results!

I've taken a quick look at the readme and I have a few questions / observations:

* is the proposed markup compliant with CommonMark as implemented by
https://github.com/commonmark/cmark ?
(i.e. if so, which is the syntax that is common in both generators,
`smu` and `cmark`?)

* are code-blocks as separated by ```` on each line supported? (the
issue with codeblocks as indented by spaces is that one can't easily
copy-paste those in the shell or plain-text editor without removing
the indentation;)

* reading the readme as rendered by GitHub, it is misleading,
especially regarding the quoting syntax; perhaps it would be better
to put it as an plain `.txt` file which is much more readable;

(I'm asking mainly from the perspective of using `smu` as a
lightweight / simpler / clearer alternative to CommonMark in other
projects.)

Good work,
Ciprian.