[dev] mus: simple album playlist music player

From: Hadrien Lacour <hadrien.lacour_AT_posteo.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2020 12:48:06 +0100

Hello,

some time ago, I posted about a project of mine supposed to replace mpd and its
complexity. The effort was here, but the implementation really lacked polish.
Now, though, I'm confident enough to post again since it's in a state that
could be useful to others.

The concept is simple, you have newline delimited playlist of directories
(albums), a daemon that consumes it via a simple and modular C player made with
libao and libflac/libvorbis/libopus (each one being optional at build time) and
a client to control the daemon (play, pause, next album, etc...).

There's also an optional bunch of tools to handle an album database whose
principal goal is to keep a playcount for each entry and thus provide random
picking that's still fair (i.e. random but with a forced dispersion).
This functionality is what finally decided me to abandon cmus; that and the
fact that I didn't really need the curses interface.

I tried to keep it portable, but I ended having to depend on flock(1) and chose
to use C11, GNU make and gperf for comfort; which limits the use to GNU/Linux
and the various modern BSDs.

Here's the link for those of you that are interested: https://git.sr.ht/~q3cpma/mus

Regards,
Hadrien Lacour