[dev] A simpler static file server than quark

From: Richard Ulmer <maillists.rulmer_AT_mailbox.org>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2020 20:59:11 +0100

Hi,
sometimes it's handy to have an easy to use file server at hand, to
share a file with a friend, colleague or smartphone, provide a dummy
server when developing an API or quickly view a website that requires
AJAX locally [1].

I have used quark for this, but found it annoying, that I have to
provide a host and port and run it as root (the noroot patch doesn't
always work either, because the use of fork(2) is restricted). It seems
like others have similar complaints about quark [2].

I thus looked for alternatives and found a very minimalist static
file server, written in golang, called statico. I forked it, further
simplified the user interface and added logging. You can find it on
GitHub [3].

It doesn't require root, it's only (optional) parameter is -p for the
port, supports GET and HEAD requests and even respects the Range header.

Best regards,
Richard Ulmer

[1] https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6923707/using-ajax-to-read-local-files
[2] https://lists.suckless.org/dev/1909/33618.html