Re: [dev] Ada not Rust

From: Greg Reagle <greagle_AT_fastmail.fm>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 06:29:30 -0400

Thank you for your explanation Laslo Hunhold. I wholeheartedly agree with you
about the fallibility of human programmers, and the vulnerability of C to
errors. Even though I am a fan of the suckless philosophy and its programs,
which are written in C, I wish that a less error-prone language would be used.

Perhaps I will write (or more likely re-write a C program) a very small program
in Ada as a proof-of-concept of the viability of Ada for several purposes:
- for me to learn Ada
- as a proof-of-concept or illustration of the viability of Ada
- to compare and contrast number of lines of source code, memory usage, speed etc.
- if it turns out well, as advocacy for Ada
- if it turns out ill, as a lesson learned, then I'll continue my search for a good alternative to C

I am open to suggestions. I am thinking something from sbase or ubase.

Ada is a big language with a lot of features. I definitely intend to work with
a small subset of those features.