Re: [dev] [st] Thoughts on kitty keyboard protocol

From: Страхиња Радић <contact_AT_strahinja.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 13:09:42 +0200

On 21/06/21 07:00, Tobias Bengfort wrote:
> To me it is also obvious that this protocol sucks less than the old one.

If we go only by the added code, it is quite the contrary. Less is more.

> Currently you need to write a GUI if you need to get reliable keyboard
> events. This proposal would allow you to do the same in a TUI. TUIs require
> much less code compared to GUIs.

TUIs are still not ideal. What is closer to ideal is CLI. Nonetheless, there are
many core suckless programs which are X programs, and none that I know of which
are TUI (be it using bloated libraries like ncurses, or using simpler solutions
like termbox). Even the IRC client ii is not TUI but CLI.

This protocol seems to cater to TUIs, adding functionality which is as of now
not widely accepted nor widely implemented.