Re: [dev] [st] wide characters getting cropped

From: Страхиња Радић <contact_AT_strahinja.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 17:31:15 +0100

On 21/11/10 08:55, NRK wrote:
> I wouldn't say it's "critical need". And if we judge from that pov then
> one could ask, "What's the critical need for a dynamic window manger or
> minimal softwares in general?".

Terminal emulator's job is to allow terminal input/output. Latency is simply not
relevant, unless it is noticeable by a human (for example, if a simple "cat
/some/file" for a multi-line text file has a delay anywhere from 500 ms to a
second or two between the output of individual lines, when not dependant on
factors such as reading from a network of a faulty hard disk; that would just be
annoying, but still usable). st doesn't have such issues, so anyone experiencing
them should look for the cause elsewhere (Xft/fontconfig?).

Also, the need for "minimal software" is not comparable to the "need" for "low
latency" in a terminal emulator. The former is a fundamental concept, while the
latter is superficial.

> XTerm has many (visible) problems. Maybe I've misconfiuged it, but I
> cannot get it to fallback to other fonts reliably, and thus some glyphs
> don't render. It also chokes badly when it tries to render some unicode
> glyphs for the first time.

If you refer to color emoji or Nerd Font symbols, they are poorly supported in
X, and I'd even say they are bloat by themselves. But it is to be expected of
XTerm to have problems. To quote https://st.suckless.org,