[dev] [dwm] Focus issues with chromium built-in notifications

From: Andrew Fuller <qartis_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 11:46:01 -0800

Hi all, I've noticed two related bugs with chromium's built-in
notifications on dwm. The behavior seems to exist in all dwm versions
after commit 3a392b "making enternotify less focus hungry". It's
possible that dwm is correct and the bug(s) are in chromium.

Bug #1:
If I click [X] to close a notification, chromium can no longer display
a right-click menu unless I explicitly focus a different window and
then back to chromium.

Steps to reproduce bug #1:
1) If you're running a desktop notification daemon, visit
chrome://flags/#enable-system-notifications and set the flag to
"Disabled" to force chromium to use its own built-in notification
system
2) Make chromium fullscreen so that the notification will appear above
chromium rather than another window. It's important that WM focus goes
directly from the chromium notification window back to chromium's main
window.
3) Visit a website that will generate a notification such as
https://www.bennish.net/web-notifications.html, click "Authorize",
then "Show"
4) Notification shows up: https://qu.ax/1WhP.png
5) Click [X] in the top right corner of the notification
6) Right-clicking within chromium is now broken until chromium loses
and regains focus

Bug #2:
If I interact with the notification window without closing it,
chromium can no longer receive keyboard events until the notification
is closed. In this state text entry and keyboard shortcuts are both
broken, but the right-click menu still works.

Steps to reproduce bug #2:
1) If you're running a desktop notification daemon, visit
chrome://flags/#enable-system-notifications and set the flag to
"Disabled" to force chromium to use its own built-in notification
system
2) Visit a website that will generate a notification such as
https://www.bennish.net/web-notifications.html, click "Authorize",
then "Show"
3) Notification shows up. Click the small "now ^" button at the top to
collapse the notification: https://qu.ax/9aFq.png
4) Keyboard events in chromium are now broken until the notification
is closed, OR until chromium loses and regains focus.