Re: [dev] [surf] XDG conformity

From: Страхиња Радић <contact_AT_strahinja.org>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 18:21:53 +0100

On 21/12/16 09:39, Janek F wrote:
> After trying surf recently, I was appalled to see a ".surf" directory in my home.
> Is XDG basedir compliance not natural in suckless software?

Suckless software follows the principles that predate X Desktop Group and its
specifications, as well as its own principles.

Before 2000, it was customary in GNU/Linux to have user-specific configuration
files in the user's home directory, starting with a dot. For example, vim's
configuration file is ~/.vimrc, joe's configuration file is ~/.joerc and so on.
Those files are commonly called "dotfiles", because they literally start with a
dot, and programs like ls omit listing them by default (they are "hidden").

In addition, suckless software has its own convention, which is to configure
software by changing a header file in its source code, usually located in the
file config.h in the source directory of a particular program.