Re: [dev] Special target ".POSIX" in Makefiles

From: Laslo Hunhold <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 11:33:21 +0100

On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 11:16:18 +0100
Hiltjo Posthuma <hiltjo_AT_codemadness.org> wrote:

Dear Hiltjo,

> In my opinion a practical way is to really test it on different
> systems (bleeding edge Linux, older Debian stable, NetBSD, OpenBSD)
> and GNU/Make, different BSD make programs.
>
> This doesn't cover the POSIX compatibility, but some make
> implementations are not fully POSIX either and this also finds other
> issues.

yes, this also helped me identify some issues, but as far as I know all
of them implement e.g. ":=" and "?=" and macros in target rules. Of
course one might say that it's enough to cover multiple
implementations, but given there's often no reason to use extensions,
something like Mattias proposed would really come in handy.

With best regards

Laslo