Re: [dev] requirements of build systems

From: Страхиња Радић <contact_AT_strahinja.org>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 18:38:01 +0100

On 22/01/31 12:10, Petros Pateros wrote:
> What would you expect from a build system? Should it trust mtime?
> Is it responsible for verifing the file's contents for actual changes?
> More generally, what are the key features that make a build system useful?

apenwarr/redo is the implementation of djb redo I settled on for my programs. It
has the most features among the current implementations. For redistribution, it
has a shell script named "do", so even if users don't have full apenwarr/redo
installed on their system, they can execute

        $ ./do -c

to build my programs, or

        # ./do -c install

to install them.