Re: [dev] Is there a text editor following the UNIX philosophy?

From: Sean MacLennan <seanm_AT_seanm.ca>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 10:16:30 -0500

On Fri, 11 Feb 2022 11:47:56 +0000
Daniel Littlewood <danielittlewood_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> I wonder whether there are any text-editing (particularly
> code-editing) workflows people have had success with which combine
> many small programs, rather than using a single monolith.

On development machines there are two places where I want power, and one
where I have no choice.

1) My editor. I spend all day in the editor. I want it to be very
flexible. I use Emacs. But I don't use it to read mail or browse the web
even though it can.

2) My shell. I use zsh.

3) I have to use chrome or firefox as a browser because of work related
web based apps. I have no choice here, well no choice if I want to keep
my job ;)

I can get away with a less powerful shell as long as it has tab
completion. Tab completion just saves so much time.

Cheers,
   Sean