Re: [dev] [dwm] hardcoded dmenucmd && dmenumon

From: Ethan Marshall <lists_AT_ethanjmarshall.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2022 22:14:14 +0000

> I agree, some advantage I can think of is it would support on a multi-monitor
> support with 10 or more monitors. Otherwise I prefer the current code.

I would suggest that the support of 10 or more monitors is not worth
the added complexity, given how small the proportion of people will be
with such hardware. Part of writing software is making compromise. For
the same reason why it is often better to use fixed-size input buffers
in C, with the risk of cutting off attempts at passing huge inputs, it
is similarly fine to assume that ten monitors is a good maximum - in
this case, anyway. Incorrect behaviour is tolerated if such behaviour
exceeds software design parameters. GIGO.

I do agree that special cases are best to be avoided, but there's
nothing really stopping you from creating another special case for
whatever applications you want to spawn on a specific monitor, passing
such a parameter.

        Ethan