Re: [dev] Some direction with my project

From: Страхиња Радић <contact_AT_strahinja.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 15:22:58 +0200

On 22/04/15 02:20, Wolf wrote:>
> Configure script provides lot more then detection though. I have yet to
> see a hand written make providing support for --program-prefix or
> --program-transform-name for example. For packaging software, these
> additional features are useful from time to time.

They are trivial to program in a handwritten makefile.

On topic, suckless programs usually make use of makefiles which are
hand-customized, just like the program settings (config.h). For bonus points,
use Plan9 mk.

For my own programs, I prefer djb redo[2], which uses simple shell scripts and
is better than GNU make[3].

About the Changelog/NEWS, they originate before the time of git and are
superseded by git log/git shortlog.

1: https://9p.io/sys/doc/mk.html
2: https://github.com/apenwarr/redo
3: https://redo.readthedocs.io/en/latest/#whats-so-special-about-redo