Re: [dev][st][dwm] st UTF-8 works on Gnome, but not on DWM

From: Hiltjo Posthuma <hiltjo_AT_codemadness.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 15:54:08 +0200

On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 08:20:34AM -0500, Robert Winkler wrote:
> Getting closer: I tried the compiled st in different window managers
> (thanks for the hint to test the binary in different environments!).
>
> In Plasma, spectrwm, and dwm, UTF-8 of st does not work.
>
> But SURPRISE: in Gnome (Wayland, PoP OS! 22.04 LTS), it does!
>
> This means that the compiled st is working fine, but something strange
> is happening related to the environment. But what?
>
> Anyone has an idea, what could be the difference between Gnome and DWM
> with respect to the font encoding?

My guess it's still the locale environment somehow (despite the previous posted
locale environment values looking good).

Maybe the Gnome session thingy sets the proper values, but your script or
session file which launches dwm (which spawns st) doesn't have it set?

Just a random guess,

Good luck,

--
Kind regards,