Re: [dev] [st] UTF-8 not working

From: Страхиња Радић <contact_AT_strahinja.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 18:48:55 +0200

On 22/04/15 07:08, Robert Winkler wrote:
> Hi, according to the st Status, UTF-8 should be working. Much needed for
> multilingual typing with ú, ü, ß, µ, ¿ etc.
> However, I only get 00e9 if I type é; anything, I need to specify in
> config.h?
> Best, Robert

Liks I said, I only use:

        - login through getty (no display manager like lightdm, sddm, gdm...)
        - no desktop environment, pure X.Org
        - dwm as a window manager
        - X.Org's native XKB configured with:
                setxkbmap -layout us,rs -option grp:alt_shift_toggle
          which is executed by dwm on startup

and I can input various characters in Cyrillic, as well as color emoji and
other symbols using my own script[1].

May I ask what shell are you using inside st? The only problem I noticed so far
with my script, which uses xdotool(1) to type characters, is when I am using it
while st is specifically executing mksh as a shell. With bash, dash and zsh
emoji are inserted correctly. This is undoubtedly some misconfiguration of mksh
on my part, which I have yet to figure out in detail.

However, when I type ordinary text, regardless if it is using Cyrillic
characters, using Serbian keyboard, or those characters you listed in your
original message, using Spanish keyboard, they are entered and displayed
correctly, even in mksh. I have captured a screenshot[2] as a proof of concept.

In the first line in the screenshot, I have typed a command to configure XKB:

        setxkbmap -layout us,es -option grp:alt_shift_toggle

In the second line, I have typed characters after switching to Spanish layout
by pressing left Alt+Shift.

In the third line, I have typed the characters I used to get characters in the
previous line, after switching back to US layout.

The other screenshot[3] demonstrates pasting a text containing color emoji from
a web page into Bash running under st. I do have libxft-bgra patch for Xft
installed through an AUR package to show color emoji.

[1]: https://git.sr.ht/~strahinja/dwm/tree/master/item/pickchar
[2]: https://i.imgur.com/yWd2nPd.png
[3]: https://i.imgur.com/7yTYHUY.png
[4]: https://aur.archlinux.org/libxft-bgra.git