[dev] converting cmake or configure files

From: LM <lmemsm_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 08:13:10 -0400

Anyone know of some fast or easy ways to convert projects using cmake
or GNU autoconf to other build formats. I remember redo was mentioned
on this list and looks really promising. Currently, I try to use some
form of make without cmake or configure whenever possible. Typically
it takes me a few days to convert someone else's FLOSS library or
program to build without cmake or autoconf. Was wondering if there
was a faster way. I've read that cmake can be used to generate
makefiles, but when I try, they seem to only run if cmake is present
and can perform certain commands during the make process. Is there a
way to generate basic makefiles that don't use cmake from cmake
scripts? Are there any automated tools or easy methods for converting
these types of scripts? Thanks.

By the way, I've converted some software to use other build tools
besides cmake and autoconf by hand. If anyone else is doing this sort
of thing and wants to share build scripts, let me know.