Re: [dev] Suckless CMatrix clone

From: LM <lmemsm_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 May 2022 13:48:49 -0400

On Sun, May 29, 2022 at 12:34 PM Kyryl Melekhin <k.melekhin_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> Cool, but why use Glib? You can come up with some random utf-8 character
> generator function, it's pretty trivial and there are plently of examples
> in many suckless programs on how to do utf-8 validation.

I like that point. Not a fan of glib and I try to avoid software that uses it.

Don't know how good they are, but I've run across several lighter
utf-8 C libraries:
https://github.com/cls/libutf
https://github.com/JuliaStrings/utf8proc
https://github.com/skeeto/branchless-utf8
https://github.com/sheredom/utf8.h
https://github.com/JulienPalard/is_utf8

I wrote my own and use it, so I haven't tested these. Thought they
were interesting though.

Also, Codeberg ( https://codeberg.org/ and
https://docs.codeberg.org/getting-started/what-is-codeberg/ ) was
recommended to me as an alternative to github for hosting code. So
far, it's been easier to work with than github. They were very
responsive to my support related questions. Might be worth checking
out.

Best of luck on the project, Ryan.