Re: [dev] [st] compilation warnings/errors

From: Enan Ajmain <3nan.ajmain_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 09:46:00 +0600

On Sat, 12 Nov 2022 19:56:17 +0000
ShellCode <shellcode33_AT_proton.me> wrote:
> So it made me wonder, what are your thoughts on passing -Werror by
> default to the compiler ? And what about -Wall and -Wextra ?

I think these warnings are valuable indicators of potential bugs and the
devs should pay close attention to them. I use `-Werror' in all my C
programs, except in rare cases, e.g., MinGW compiler not recognizing
`%zd' format in `printf()', etc.

But if you're asking why the Makefile of st doesn't use these flags by
default then I think the makefile is supposed to be used by the end user
and the user should not be required to deal with warnings. Unless they
want to, in which case they can include the flags themselves.

P.S. I'm not a suckless dev. Just a suckless enjoyer.

--
Enan