Re: [dev] Commandline Email Advice Request

From: Laslo Hunhold <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 09:24:29 +0100

On Thu, 24 Nov 2022 12:42:08 -0700
Michael Partridge <mcp292_AT_nau.edu> wrote:

Dear Michael,

> Happy Thanksgiving!

thanks, to you as well!

> I'm having trouble using `git --send-email` to send a patch in.
>
> I am trying to use this email address (mcp292_AT_nau.edu) with the
> following settings in my global config:
> ```
> [sendemail]
> smtpencryption = tls
> smtpserver = smtp.gmail.com
> smtpuser = mcp292_AT_nau.edu
> smtpserverport = 587
> ```
>
> Source: https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/GitTips#Mail
>
> Although it is an NAU account, it routes to a gmail inbox.
>
> I've also tried the SSL settings from this page:
> https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7126229?authuser=1&visit_id=638049147999726000-3838985679&hl=en&rd=1#zippy=%2Cstep-change-smtp-other-settings-in-your-email-client
>
> What email service do you guys use and how did you set it up for the
> commandline?

As a different perspective, I have never used git send-email and
instead always use (e.g.) git format-patch -2 that generates two
.patch-files of the last two commits that I send as E-Mail-attachments.

I have always found this approach to be more flexible.

With best regards

Laslo