Re: [dev] [license] gpl issues

From: Pontus Lars Erik SAITO STENETORP <pontus_AT_stenetorp.se>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2023 20:06:21 +0100

On Thu, 4 May 2023, at 09:05, Ray Garner wrote:

> I've been using suckless tools such as dwm and st for a while now and
> think theyre great, my question is to do with software licenses.
>
> I'm curious about licensing and was wondering why suckless tools are
> released under MIT rather than an alternative like GPL. Is it just to make
> it compatible with more other software?
>
> Also, the GPL is included on the on the cat-v.org list of harmful software but
> without explanation. Does anyone here know if its considered harmful for
> compatability reasons or something else?

To some, freedom means the freedom to do *anything* with a piece of software. To others, it does not and other priorities take precedence. In my experience, the former crowd tends to write less about this stance and solely focus on software. Discussions on these matters are sadly rarely productive as it is purely ideology. I am sure there are better write ups on the permissive stance on licensing, but this is what I usually link:

    https://www.openbsd.org/policy.html