Re: [dev] [license] gpl issues

From: Страхиња Радић <contact_AT_strahinja.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 16:44:44 +0200

On 23/06/18 09:01, Страхиња Радић wrote:
> You can't license the whole of A as GPL, only your modifications.
[...]
> which explicitely forbids removing the copyright and permission notices on
> Expat-licensed code, or replacing them with, say, GPL notices.

On second thought, I think Markus may be right. It is GPL which would forbid
non-compatible sublicensing (which is changing the license of derived works
*completely*), not Expat. Under Expat, you can sublicense *your copy/fork* to
any license, including the proprietary licenses. (This is one of the reasons
why I think that GNU GPL is superior--it stays true to the original intent.)

Of course, the copyright holder(s), or original authors, can always choose to
retain the original license on their software, or relicense their work in any
way they choose (IMHO this wouldn't retroactively impact the forks made when
the program's license allowed free-software-licensed forks).