Re: [dev] Suckless filesystems

From: <fossy_AT_dnmx.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 15:42:53 -0400

> On Thu, Jun 22, 2023 at 12:08:42PM +0200, Sagar Acharya wrote:
> > Which are the filesystems which suckless recommends?
> >
> > In my view, simple ones are FAT32, ext2.
> >
> > I think journaling is required which I see as within disk backup. A
robust and easy fsck like program which corrects errors easily. And a
program which periodically checks memory and replaces all corrupted
file data with journaled data to be spick and span.

> > What are your views on these?
> > Thanking you
> > Sagar Acharya
> > https://humaaraartha.in
> >
> > Lately, I'm having some hard time with ufs2
> >

> For me it depends. I tend to use the default and most-used filesystem.
On Linux
> this is ext[234].
>
> On OpenBSD I use its default filesystem. It is good enough for most
tasks for me.

> For a filesystem reliability is the most important thing. Nothing else
matters
> if data is lost or access to it is unreliable.
>
> --
> Kind regards,
> Hiltjo

I remember running Debian and having 1 hour-long song which I loved to listen
to.. and I found out that it has been deleted from YouTube..

So I wanted to back it up before a system-wipe and well.. I tried like 5
times,
every time the file would get corrupted, like it would be partially missing..
what a shame I wasn't as skilled back then, I miss that mix..

Fuck that filesystem, be it Debian's fault or USB FS fault or mine somehow..
the USB works perfectly to this day.
Also I think other files got corrupted, too.

And as for the "oh so glorious" FreeBSD's OpenZFS, it can fail, too, since
/boot isn't a ZFS dataset.. and I had that set up on Arch which took me so
much
effort than I'd like to admit (shitty-as-fuck documentation, had to
try&fail).
So no, even FreeBSD as much as it seems to some- is not perfect at all.
Oh, and what broke my system was a system update :-)
How hard can it be to actually do something properly , which one
promote??? I
mean, seriously!

Do one fucking thing, and do it fucking well, dammit!
Not exactly on-topic, but yeah, hopefully someone finds this interesting.