Re: [dev] Am I doing this right?

From: Laslo Hunhold <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2023 19:35:50 +0200

On Sat, 1 Jul 2023 18:15:17 +0300
Nikita Krasnov <nikita.nikita.krasnov_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Nikita,

> Is this message – an equivalent of a new forum topic or thread? Does
> anyone even see this? Sorry, first time having conversations this
> way.

yes, welcome to this mailing list!

> Also, is hard-wrapping lines at 80 characters a requirement? I
> see many people doing this here (I think I also saw Linus Torvalds
> doing the same in kernel emails).

I even wrap at 70 characters.

> I do see an appeal in this, but I don't necessarily see the purpose.
> You can configure any text editor to soft-wrap at the end of the
> screen without breaking lines.
> Is there something I can read about this?

Automatic line wrapping mostly fails, e.g. for blockquotes. 50-75
characters per line is a sane default given human limits. It's proven
to be the "best" line length for readability[0]; the Wikipedia-page[1]
also gives some more insights.

With best regards

Laslo

[0]:https://baymard.com/blog/line-length-readability