Re: [dev] C variants, compilers and completeness

From: Страхиња Радић <contact_AT_strahinja.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 14:37:23 +0200

On 23/08/18 02:18, David Demelier wrote:
> On Mon, 2023-07-24 at 17:38 +0200, Sagar Acharya wrote:
> > I see C compilers recommended by suckless are:
> >
> > tinycc
> > simplecc
> > cproc
> > qbe
> > lacc
>
> qbe isn't a compiler. however cproc is promising but I had various
> issues compiling some apps, can't use it as my daily for now.

I haven't checked recently, but the most noticeable missing feature of cproc,
as well as some other compilers, were VLAs. When someone writes the support for
VLAs, cproc & co. will become much more usable.

The simpler compilers generally work for smaller projects, but for many
existing packages, for now there is no real alternative to GCC and Clang/LLVM.