Re: [dev] Suckless web crawlers

From: Страхиња Радић <contact_AT_strahinja.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 22:18:35 +0200

On 23/09/26 02:13PM, Sagar Acharya wrote:
> Which web crawlers and indexing tools does suckless suggest?

One can answer this and similar questions about particular niches of software
by carefully reading and understanding what suckless is about:

https://suckless.org/philosophy/
(emphasis mine)
> We are the home of _quality software_ [...] with a _focus on simplicity, clarity
> and frugality_. Our philosophy is about _keeping things simple, minimal and
> usable_. We believe this should become the mainstream philosophy in the IT
> sector.

***

Immediately noticeable about xapian is that it is written in C++, which by
itself is an overengineered language, far from being simple and frugal, which
too often leads to overengineered software written in it.

Merely going by SLoC, just the latest xapian-core sub-project currently has
around 92k lines of C++ source code. To get things into perspective, the latest
shell mksh has around 29k lines of C code, and bash has around 118k lines of C
code.